Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Ching Shih the Pirate Queen

I have never feared more for my life then I did on this particular day. On a Wednesday afternoon, I was walking home from the market when some men took me and my sister. They took us aboard a ship in which they communicated with, what sounded like Chinese. I could hear a woman's voice talking to them; it sounded like she was in command.

My sister and I were separated as they dragged us to separate parts of the ship, and I could hear the men arguing and laughing among each other. I thought I knew how this was going to play out, but I was absolutely wrong. 

Rumor was, that when women were kidnapped by pirates, they became slaves and were raped by all the men on board. But this was going differently than expected. An Asian woman approached me and with one look I knew she was not going to let anything happen to me. She seemed strict with all the men on board and the men seemed quite scared of their captain. 

As time went by, I witnessed many men being whipped and some were even beheaded if they disobeyed the captain’s orders. I hated to be in the position I was in, but I tried to not lose hope of returning home one day with my beloved family along with my sister.

I began to lose track of the days but weird enough I began to feel inspired by the captain of the fleet, Ching Shih. I thought about how woman back home could never be in the position in which they could rule over men, yet Ching Shih was. She seemed so powerful and listened to, which made me want to feel the same way. 

I took it upon myself that if I ever made it back home, I would one day be powerful and listened to. Even though I did not aspire to be a pirate I did want to help empower woman one day. I unfortunately never made it back home, but I hope that in the future woman can have more roles in society like men do today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Introduction to Final Research Paper

From about the 1650’s to about the 1720’s many people were joining pirate crews. This caused the number of pirates on sea to increase and t...